Sunday, 10 July 2011

Packing

PACKING MY BAGS FOR THE NEXT BIG ADVENTURE

I'm off on another big adventure this week. This time I am going to go and check out Eastern Europe. I've never ventured into this part of the world before so am excited about experiencing new countries and new cultures. My plans are for 5 weeks backpacking through Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia - Herzegovina, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria and finish up in Istanbul, Turkey.  It is quite a lot of ground to cover in such a short time but I am hoping that this trip will give me a taster for locations that I would like to return to and explore more in depth at another time.
A free trip given to me as I've done so many before with the travel company :-)

 The second part of my adventure :-)

I am now only four days out from departure and I think I've got all the supplies that I think I might need or that make life on the road just a little bit more comfortable. My usual packing technique is to create a pile that I add to over a couple of weeks when something dawns on me that it might be useful or practical for my journey and then in the last few days before my trip I start to cull the pile back to pretty much just the essentials.

I'm not quite sure what to pack for this trip as temperatures will be hot in the destinations. I'll also be visiting quite a few cities so I don't want to be too scruffy yet most of my 'nicer' clothes are probably too heavy weight for the summer climate in Eastern Europe. I'm settling for cotton shirts rather than t-shirts as I figure they will dry easier when hand washed. I'm taking my green frog feet Keen sandals instead of my trainers as they are lighter and might suit the heat a big better.  I had bought these about 4 years ago for a trip to India during the monsoon season when I didn't want floating stuff to end up between my toes. They had at the time cost me the earth - about $80USA but even though I have worn them pretty much every day for 2 years when in Uzbekistan, they still look and feel brand new.  On reflection they were a an excellent investment I think!  I'm substituting a sweater for a pashmina or scarf as I figure I'll only need something light to keep the drafts off if there is AC on the plane there or on any trains or buses.   My inflatable neck support/cushion this a must.  I can sleep anywhere sitting upright with that thing.  Same goes with my ear plugs and eye patch cover thing - I am a much nicer person when I get my sleep :-)  I've packed a few granola bars this time which is something I never usually do.  I think I must be getting set in my ways as I get older but I really do like to have cereal for breakfast.

Hopefully while I am gone my apartment will undergo some renovations.  I need to pack up most of my stuff just in case the letting agency does actually follow through with replacing my carpets.  I will clear out the freezer and fridge this week as I am going to switch of the mains power too.  I am on a meter for electricity so seems a bit pointless to keep stuff running and using up the pennies that are left on the meter.  I am not sure of the fate of my herb garden and flower pots but can only hope that the traditional English summer weather patterns will kick in and they will survive with any rain that falls!

Not sure if I'll have time to blog along the way but I'll try.

2 comments:

  1. I do hope everything goes smoothly for you and you have a great time. Keep an eye out for my boss and his wife who are similar climes.

    We look forward to hearing more of your travels on your safe return.

    All the best

    Allanah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Allanah. Getting very excited as time draws clos

    ReplyDelete